Wildflower Garden

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

mile stones

Everyone has moments that stick out in their memory forever. Moments that mark an achievement or small(or big) triumphs.

This week I reached a places, that I didn't think would happen for me.
On Monday my piano teacher presented me with my new set of Grade 8 RCM books.

This feels like something I need a party for!
It's not like I'm near ready to take that exam, but I'm ready to start learning pieces of that difficultly.

My piano story is one filled with strange twists and turns, joys and despairs.
I started piano lessons when I was 5, with a 15-year-old friend of the family.
That's when I learned where middle C is, and the other note names, and finger numbers.
After a year or so of that, I think I started lessons with my neighbour across the street, who gave lessons out of her house.
She moved away, when I was about 8, and I started taking lessons with her sister, who also lived across the street and gave lessons out of her home studio.
At around 9-years-old, I got sick of my lessons.
Things started to become harder, and I wasn't getting it, and the easier stuff I found boring and unchallenging.
So I quit.
I had never taken an exam, played in Kiwanis, or even got into graded books at that point.

I just kind of forgot about the whole thing for a few years.
Then when I was 13, I decided I might as well try it again.
And I loved it.
Now I was ready for the things I had found challenging before. Things had become easier, and more fun to play beyond just hitting the notes.
I took my grade 4 piano at age 14. And I felt really dumb, since at that point I was way "behind" all my friends my age who played piano.
I did well on my exam, but then lessons after that started not working as well.
My teacher had me playing the same 3(not long) pieces for a year, each time saying they were perfect, but I should play them for her again.
Then this past summer she moved away, so I decided it was time to find a new teacher.
I'm pretty sure I would have wanted to, even if she hadn't moved away.

Now. Here I am, with my Grade 8 books.
The exact same level as my friends who have been playing and taking lessons without breaks.

It feels good.
It feels like something that just should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment